But the MLB All-Star Game could be better.
And it should be.
I wrote Monday that the All-Star Game had lost its luster, and I promised some suggested solutions for how to fix it. So here they are in no particular order.
- Make it a best of three series. That way the teams can gel and the host city will see more action. More games equals more revenue, which is what everyone wants, right?
- Give all players a full week off. The full week accommodates the best of three series and gives managers a chance to use players in a manner they normally would. For instance, Dice-K would be given the opportunity to go seven strong this year, instead of being taken out just when he's getting a feel for his stuff. I don't think you'd hear any non-All Stars complain about this.
- Count the stats in the record book. If what we're aiming for is a game that "matters," what better incentive than etching the goings on into the players' permanent records. Besides, shouldn't a home run hit against an All Star count for two instead of zero?
- Pay out the big bucks to the winning team. When it comes to getting professional athletes to care about the outcome of the game, money talks. Forget home field advantage in the World Series, how about half a mil to each member of winning team?
Many of you will retort that these ideas are ridiculous and will never be instituted. I will agree on the second part.
The bottom line is the All-Star Game needs fixing. Now that I've put my piece out there, it's your turn.
Go.
4 comments:
Or, we could just get rid of the whole having it count thing all together.
I can't bring myself to watch the game itself, let alone if there were three.
I don't know if the full week off thing rectifies the not wanting to use players. I don't think Leland is going to be sending out Verlander for 6 innings in either case.
Money isn't going to motivate these guys.
My one fix would be to make the ticket prices reasonable and let the real fans into the game instead of phony corporate sponsors at $150 a pop. When they had it in Detroit it cost like $40 just to go for workout day and watch them stretch.
I like the best-of-three series idea. Baseball is supposed to be a series, so why not the ASG? Besides, that would allow managers to play the pitchers in a more realistic manner. And having a week off is a natural extension of this idea.
I don't necessarily think that the ASG needs to have more meaning, but it should more closely resemble 'normal' baseball, and I am again thinking primarily of how the pitching staff is used. A three game series does this.
Unfortunately, as you said, it'll never happen.
Tyler, I agree about adjusting the ticket prices. Extending the game to a three-game series would increase supply and therefore lower the cost of each ticket. Knowing the MLB, though, they'd keep the prices as is (or raise them), even if they did extend teh series.
Chris, I agree that the ASG should be more like a "normal" baseball game and less like an exhibition. Others, of course, would disagree.
On a side note, Chris and Tyler, your readership and comments are always appreciated.
Unfortunately, the 3 game series would mean more chance for injury to the chosen All Stars, and teams would NOT want to leave the ASG with any of their best players hurt in a non-divisional game. The ASG is great for the fans who can afford the rates, but these guys have to go back to ~80 more games with their own teams. They're even more important if those games are all part of a pennant race, like the AL Central this year.
Post a Comment